Council Youth Commissioner (CYC)
to: National Youth Commissioner.
Shares responsibility with: As a member of the Council Key 3 (CK3) shares responsibility and accountability with Council Commissioner and Council Relationship Manager.
Appointment: Appointed annually by the National Youth Commissioner in consultation with the Council Commissioner and Council Relationship Manager and appropriate Assistant National Youth Commissioner for a maximum of three (3) consecutive years.
- 5-10 hours a week
- 1 National Annual General Meeting annually
- 1 National Service Team meeting annually
- Monthly conference calls
- Service visits to Areas and Groups in the Council
- Numerous phone calls/emails
- To ensure that the youth of the Council are involved and engaged in every decision that relates to great safe, youth led adventurous programs.
- To advocate for and provide leadership to young volunteers throughout the Council
- Be committed to the implementation of the Canadian Path, with emphasis on the Four Key Elements
- To ensure that youth leadership development opportunities are provided for all youth members
- Participate in professional development opportunities offered by the NYN
- The Council Youth Commissioner will act in conjunction with the Council Commissioner and Council Relationship Manager to develop an achieve the Council’s annual business plan and Scouts Canada’s five key priorities in addition to working with the National Youth Commissioner and the National Youth Network.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as Chair of the Council Youth Network making sure it is vibrant and its members are highly engaged Play an equal role in duties and responsibilities to manage the affairs of the Council Serve as an active, contributing member of the Council Leadership Team
- Ensure that youth in the Council are participating in Scouts Canada Youth Learning Training opportunities
- Work with the Council Commissioner and the National Youth Commissioner to set goals and build a personal development plan and develop plans with Council Youth Network members
- Ensure that youth and adult volunteers are regularly recognized for their contributions and achievements in a timely manner Scouts.ca
- Chair the Public Appointments process to select all Area Youth Commissioners within the Council
- Provide support to youth commissioners within the Council to ensure they are effective in their roles
- With the Council Service Team, help promote available tools and resources to deliver great safe adventurous Scouting programs within the Council
- Ensure the Public Appointments Process is followed for the incoming Council Youth Commissioner and that the designate receives adequate orientation and transition.
- Additional duties as discussed in consultation with the Council Key 3 and the National Youth Commissioner
- Serve as a member of the National Youth Network and communicate on a regular basis with the National Youth Commissioner
- Actively contribute to and participate in all established National Youth Network initiatives and projects
- Identify all pertinent related issues raised by members in their Council to the National Youth Network and National Service Team
- Ensure that meaningful youth involvement and the priorities of the National Youth Network remain key Council objectives actively working towards “One Scouts Canada”
- Attend or provide alternate delegate to all National Youth Network meetings and conference calls
- Communicate on a regular basis with the appropriate Assistant National Youth Commissioner.
The Council Youth Commissioner should be enthusiastic, committed to Scouting and possess a positive attitude. The Council Youth Commissioner should responsibly have the time available to excel in this role. The Council Youth Commissioner has taken or is willing to take leadership development training. Scouts.ca
- Council Youth Commissioner (CYC) job description