Date(s) - January 17,2020 - January 19,2020
7:30 pm - 11:00 am
Lake Lovering Scout Reserve
Quebec Council Winter Outdoor Skills 2020
Friday January 17th -Sunday January 19th, 2020
- (Senior Youth, under 18 Scouters: Up to two youth from a section may attend accompanied by their Scouters, provided they agree to instruct other youth sections in their Group before their winter outings)
Chuck Fraser (Course Lead)
Lake Lovering Scout Reserve (indoor building and surrounding area)
The fee for the course is $35.
Meals will be included; those wishing course materials may bring their own USB device to download presentation materials.
A very cool crest is provided to surviving participants.
Indoor and Outdoor Sessions:
- Friday January 17th, 2020- 7:30 pm-9:00 pm
- Saturday – January 18th, 2020- – 9:00 pm
- Sunday – January 19th, 2020 -11 am (if and as necessary, to be determined)
Friday: optional outdoors, Saturday night: Challenge by Choice:
Participants may choose to join the trainers outside overnight Friday and Saturday night: Participants to determine their learning experience with choice of shelter (tent, tarp, quinzhee if snow permits), or sleep on the floor indoors. Participants are to be self-sufficient for camping.
Practical information for being prepared for winter outdoor activities including:
- strategies to be comfortably dressed in all conditions
- group equipment considerations for winter camping,
- first aid for winter environmental hazards,
- adapting off the shelf equipment and home-made equipment for carrying gear
- winter travel to and from activity area,
- menu planning and meal preparation,
- improvised shelters (tarps, trenches and quinzhees),
- places to go and things to do with your youth to support program goals,
- resources for personal development,
- what you need to know pre-winter season, and how to advise Parents prior to outings
There will be sessions outdoors, no matter the weather, practicing the strategies for winter wilderness living skills-building shelters, cooking, snowshoeing, comparing equipment strategies and techniques, staying warm, having fun.
We will do what we can with the conditions we have, and certainly cover what is possible with sufficient snow, extreme cold, and age-appropriate winter activities.
Winter is a great time to be outdoors, but sleeping out overnight has practical challenges, and great rewards for building confidence and embracing challenge. Whether you are taking Beavers and Cubs sliding, skating or for a hike, or Cubs and Scouts for their first winter camp, you will add to your confidence, knowledge and skills with this experience from a great training team.
Complete the online registration and submit payment via Paypal.
This event is limited to 25 people and is popular so sign up as soon as you can.
Registration deadline: Jan 2nd, 2020.
For more information contact Elaine de Ryk, DCC Scouter Development, [email protected]
New users: A new account will automatically be created for you and your credentials will be emailed to you. Follow the link sent to you to create a password. Please check your junk mail if you have not receive it.
Returning users: Please log in to this site to register for additional events or view any bookings.
Bookings are closed for this event.